Life doesn’t end after completion of high school, it actually continues with another quest where there’s no more lockers, gym classes, or teachers nagging about assignments and home work.
Once the child becomes adult, it is up to him/her to care about the decisions which could transform life goals in more meaningful way.
In terms of selecting the right career, it becomes utmost important to consider multiple educational streams that could be explored viz colleges, community colleges, or trade schools, defence sector as well. Therefore, the planning should begin as to what should be next by the junior year of high school.
The approach towards finding the interest varies upon individual seeking options. Few methods could definitely come in handy like:
- Take a career assignment test which contains a series of multiple-choice questions needs to be answered correctly. These tests are specifically designed to analyse the strengths and weaknesses of the scholar seeking it. These tests also consider different personality types for each individual. While career tests should not be the main source of decision making, it could be used as a tool which will further help in deciding the right path.
- If one has an interest in science then a career in engineering or marine biology. IF the scholar carries interest as a team player then career like computer programming or writing are best suited, which require more alone time.
- Research is also a career that could be considered by scholars of higher intelligence quotient.
- Barring the general trends if the scholar has a totally different ideology towards the general approach then there is a need to look into a career with growth opportunities. Picking a career that can stimulate the mind, it also becomes important to practically analyse the market demands, the scholar needs to pick a career that enables a handsome living after graduation.
- Taking a jump back after the first step of realizing the career dreams if the decision is clear about what career to pursue that requires higher education, research on applying to the college or program, including qualifications, application deadlines, tuition fees and length of study. On the contrary if the decision is clear that the selected career does not require higher education then speculations should be made for entering into the field and gain experience.
Next step to successful selection of a career option could also be dealt by seeking guidance from counsellors and career services offered at schools or paid counselling sessions. In case the scholar is already a graduate then consulting an advisor who already has desired career program is much more beneficial. These counsellors help in suggesting a path that encompasses the values. Undergraduate scholars can further collect information about colleges, career schools and vocational training programs. Exploring options of military services or post-secondary education opportunities are very much viable.
Most scholars know what type of degree they want to earn but they don’t know how to use it or vice-versa. The selection includes a very wide variety of career options like agriculture to visual arts. Each career requires enormous patience and talent to able to compete in globalised world.
As parents of teens, who are learning and require attention as to what all options are there for the taking, the major aspects pertain to the liberty given to the teens to use it. Schools may have been a challenge but there are many paths that could lead to happy and independent life.