Digital marketing can be of enormous value for an organization, but it can also be dangerous because it can lead to backlash.
In the traditional forms of marketing, backlash didn’t happen because it was a one-way communication. It was the one-to-mass system. Today, with one-to-one communication, the consumer has the ability to communicate with you as an organization and provide his or her opinion. Sometimes this could be something you may not like to hear or share with others.
It is important to understand that there is a big difference in setting up a digital marketing unit versus integrating it into the classical marketing unit. The best way to do this is to use a holistic approach. You may want to dedicate a marketing unit to take care of this area so that how people, customers, consumers respond to what you say gets reintegrated into your organization.
That is an enormous challenge, and it uses a totally different mindset from traditional marketing units, which are used to communicate from the company to the consumer. You will need people who are interested in actually communicating with customers and who are willing to learn from them, understand what that means for the organization, and find a pattern, a solution, and a way of communicating that into the organization.
While most of the Marketing Department is set up to communicate to masses and the broader public, digital marketing always requires a connection to internal communications.
Creating a marketing plan
An important step in getting started in digital marketing is creating a marketing plan. There are some guidelines you can follow when you start looking at a marketing plan:
- Have a clear picture of the situation – What is the situation you are presently at with your product or service?
- Look at the objectives – What are you trying to achieve, and which strategy are you using to fulfill these objectives?
- Think about tactics – What is actually the right way of approaching this? How could you go there with the smallest budget and the most efficient way?
- Take appropriate action – What is your game plan? What are you actually doing? What are your ideas, and what is the most creative idea to reach that target?
- Control the issues – This is an important aspect. Don’t forget to control whatever you have initialized to make it better when you restart with the objectives and your strategy.
Use actual marketing tools to approach target groups to talk to them through social media, through corporate publishing, through trade promotions, through point-of-sale advertising, through viral marketing ideas, and through other channels that you might have.
On one hand, you have the audience. On the other, you have the marketing tools. Connecting both is the marketing mix. This is the idea of how you are aiming to weigh the individual channel to address the focus group you may interested in, and size and tailor them to communicate your product to your target audience.
Remember, you will also need to monitor the effectiveness of your promotion, the sales, and especially the conversion rate and other key performance indexes. By using control mechanisms to actually control the performance, you will be able to achieve success for your marketing campaigns.