Six Sigma certification has a global relevance and a professional on becoming Six Sigma certified will attract several opportunities across the world. Such professionals will get opportunities for working with the world’s renowned organizations having a place in the Fortune 500 companies list. This is because most of the organizations in the current scenario recognize the importance of Six Sigma and follow the quality techniques and methodologies as per Six Sigma for driving excellence in their processes.
Six Sigma essentially follows a data governed and a disciplined approach. A methodology is followed for improving the processes and minimizing the defects in the key business processes by adopting one of the two approaches: DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyse, Improve and Control) or DMADV (Define, Measure, Analyse, Design, and Verify). In the current times, Lean Six Sigma is equally acquiring a lot of prominence as the major focus of Lean Six Sigma is on both on minimizing the errors and speeding the process. Six Sigma techniques are targeted for improving the end customer experience by ensuring improvement in the quality of the products while Lean Six Sigma pays a great deal of attention towards waste management and improving the production techniques. Lean Six Sigma equally follows the DMAIC approach just like Six Sigma. For experienced professionals having participated extensively in the quality driven projects, Six Sigma certification can be considered as a better choice. Whereas, for those having no work experience, Lean Six Sigma can be considered as a better choice as this will provide an exposure to the DMAIC process of Six Sigma and various other related areas in Lean Six Sigma.
Given below are step by step guidelines for becoming Six Sigma Certified:
- Understand the Industry Requirements or the Goals/Philosophy of your Organization: Deciding whether to go ahead with a Six Sigma/Lean Six Sigma certification will primarily depend on the management philosophy or the goals of your organization and also the prevalent industry trends. You may analyze the prevailing competitive forces which provide a competitive advantage to an organization. Six Sigma certification can be a good choice, if you feel that this will improve your job prospects or is in a lot of demand by the organization for realizing the strategic goals. This is an ideal choice for the professionals working in the departments of quality, production or operations.
- Selecting Between Six Sigma or Lean Six Sigma: Lean Six Sigma certification can be opted by the professionals associated with the manufacturing industry or in the field of production. On the other hand, Six Sigma can be considered as the preferred alternative if your organization is already having the existing processes in place.
- Analyze which Level will be most suitable for you: You need to select the level of certification depending upon the role which you play in the organization and the responsibilities you handle. White Belt can be opted by those professionals who are directly not involved in any projects, whereas yellow belt can be opted by those professionals who have experience of working in the projects as a team member and wish to enhance their knowledge regarding the Six Sigma processes.
- Make Prior Preparations Before Appearing the Proficiency Tests: This is an important stage, during which a Six Sigma aspirant should learn about the different levels of tests, project requirements and undertake prior preparation before appearing for the proficiency tests.
- Enrol for a Training Program: Various Online and Classroom training programs are provided by several training service providers for preparing the candidates on various tools & methodologies in Six Sigma and the latest developments in the field. Most of these programs are usually accredited and prepare the candidate for meeting the eligibility criterions for becoming Six Sigma certified. The candidates can opt for their options depending upon their convenience, budgetary preferences and availability of time. Skillsoft is the world’s No. 1 E Learning solution provider and offers specialized as well as general professional courses virtually.
- Get your Certification: There are various certification issuing authorities for Six Sigma. Few of the prominent names include: ASQ, KPMG, Vskills (Govt. Certification), BSI group and Indian Statistical Institute.