There is Facebook which you use almost every second of the day to update your thoughts, pictures, places you visit and almost everything you do in your daily lives. Facebook gives you an opportunity to remain in touch with your friends and loved ones even if you cannot meet them daily in person. LinkedIn is similar to that but it is used for spreading your network on a professional level. Here you can talk about your professional achievements, upload your CV, talk about your professional ambitions, get in touch with recruiters, job seekers and can also follow a group created by a company, professionals of same field or HRs from different industries.
In today’s time when we are carrying our lives in our pockets via our smartphones, not having a well carved LinkedIn profile is unfathomable. LinkedIn not only gives you an opportunity to access all the latest developments in your career field but also offers you lucrative job offers. It is a more organized and professional way to spread your social network in the professional sector.
If you already have a LinkedIn profile, then you must have had filled in your profile details which talks about your professional achievements, there must be 100s of people in your network and numerous job offers in your inbox. But, if you are still searching for that golden opportunity and no personal contacts or even your LinkedIn profile have not helped you in taking you to your dream job then it’s time to review your LinkedIn page.
Easy it may seem, but to create a LinkedIn profile with right headline, right keywords and attractive summary is not everyone’s cup of tea. Remember, LinkedIn might be a sight for spreading your professional network but it is not just about copy-pasting your resume. It is way different from writing a resume and involves creative expertise. You should know how and where to use the keywords as to make your profile viral. Seems tricky? Well, don’t lose heart, you can also create an appealing LinkedIn Profile by following the simple Do’s and Don’ts mentioned below:
- Gripping Headline is the Master Key: Headline is one of the key features in making your profile more visible in your network. While writing down headlines do choose words which talks about your expertise and skills. Be descriptive and stick to your area of expertise. For example, if you are a Sales person then your headline can write, ‘Creating strong visibility & awareness for xyz brand’.
- Upload a professional Photo: LinkedIn is not Facebook or Twitter, it is about your professional personality. Therefore, while uploading your photo on LinkedIn make sure that it is in harmony with your career details. Though, it is not a rule to not upload a fun image but then, if you are targeting to become a head honcho one day then it’s not justifiable to upload an image where you are eating an ice-cream!
- Stick to the Word Limit while writing down LinkedIn Summary: While you might have endless words to tell your story but LinkedIn has a word limit which you should follow. So it’s better to write a precise note about yourself rather than chucking out on the great words later on. The word ‘Summary’ is self-explanatory. It is the most important part of your profile, as the keywords you use here will enhance your visibility and will help you in networking at a more concrete level.
- Recommendations are Very Important: Ask your friends, seniors, clients and acquaintances to write recommendations for you on LinkedIn. The recommendations will not only make your profile more visible but will also help you in getting noticed by major recruiters.
- Joining Different Groups Highlight your Interests: The different groups you will join will be visible at the end of your LinkedIn Profile. These groups help a stranger to learn about your interests and the area you might be interested in. Choose the groups wisely.
- Do not use LinkedIn as Facebook Wall: Keep your LinkedIn profile strictly for increasing your professional network and avoid posting anything funny or in the manner you do on Facebook. Keep it professional and your posts as well.
- Do Not Ignore Notifications: You might be getting anonymous messages and several notifications but it is always beneficial to always go through your inbox. You would not want to miss out on some opportunity.
Well, these are just simple markers to show you the way. In the end, it is your skills and expertise that will take you miles ahead.