Monica, the character from the popular series Friends would make an excellent Quality Analyst. Her Obsessive Compulsive Disorder would have helped her in keeping quality under check. Quality Analysts are the ones who ensure that a product is being manufactured as per the company’s policy and no compromise is being done with its quality. You May find a QA&QC segment in almost every organization. They not only monitor the production process but also make sure that there are no defects in any of the product that goes out in the market. They are entitled to reject deficient material (before the production) or a substandard product (after its manufacturing). If you have a keen eye to tab the tiniest of the scratch or a minuscule difference in the colour of a product then you might a preference as a Quality Analyst. Here are 7 essentials to have for the job…
- Technical Agility: You cannot fly plane unless you are a trained pilot. Similarly, you cannot become a Quality Analyst in a day without even learning about the nuances of the job. If you are working for a car manufacturing unit and are accountable for its quality check then you must be technically educated to take the mantle of rejecting or Okaying it. Technical knowledge is the first and foremost criteria to get in to the shoes of a Quality Analyst.
- Patience to face Stressful Situations: Quality Analyst’s job calls for lot of responsibility. It is on his/her shoulders that a company relies on. His last words will make or break a company’s reputation in the market. It is a stressful environment where one has to keep its cool and adhere to all the deadlines without conceding the quality.
- Have the Grit to Take Decisions: There is not much time left to the deadline and the product has to be launched but there is shortage of certain material required for manufacturing, what would you do as a Quality Analyst? You cannot afford to look out for answers with the authorities but will have to adorn the hat of a captain and take the steering of the boat in your hands. You will have to take necessary decisions and arrange for the material (without comprising on the quality) and get the job done in the said time.
- Communication Skills: Can’t Do Without it: A Quality Analyst’s job is not limited to just checking for the scratches or colour difference; it involves a lot of responsibilities. As a Quality Analyst you not only keep a stern check on the product’s quality but also keep a hearty relation with the vendors who provide all the raw material. Apart from checking the material’s quality, you ensure that a good vendors stick with the company for good. Learning about their needs & requirement and aptly communicating your requirement from them will make you one in hundreds.
- Learn About Accounts: Money plays a major role while a product is being manufactured. As a Quality Analyst you cannot afford to increase the cost of production and put burden on the company. You have to keep in mind the sanctioned budget and work your strategy accordingly.
- Be a Leader and Not a Dictator: Yes it is your primary duty to ensure that your team adheres to the work policies but you also have to be considerate towards your manpower. You cannot force a sickened labour to work tediously. Be generous to their problems and they will follow you as a leader.
- Get the Right Resume: Yes, just like all the above skills, having a well-written resume is as important as having the basic skill-set for any job. If you cannot squiggle your expertise in the right manner then you might lose a promising opportunity. Do not ignore it is as a piece of paper; your resume is the first piece that may woo a promising job for you…