If you are a movie buff and have seen eve a couple of 80s or 90s movie then you must be familiar how in some movies a big righteous business man is duped because his transport manager was secretly transporting illegal things and put the blame on his owner when caught. Well, that’s not a good example to give but you might have got the hint of what Supply Chain Management involves. And, if you are not an evil plotter then of course you can explore the sector, for a promising job.
Supply Chain Management, as the name suggests not only implies ensuring the proper transportation of raw material/finished product to its destination but also involve managing the stock at warehouse. A keen eye, observant nature and leadership skill are the core competencies one needs to excel in this area. Here are the 7 essential traits that a company looks for in a Supply Chain Executive/Manager.
- Plan Each Step: Managing the Supply Chain is not a thing done alone. There are lots of people involved and you cannot afford to have it all in your mind. Planning is one of the foremost steps you should be working on even before you begin to take on the responsibility. Have your checklist along with you and keep ticking your duties.
- Coordinate Again and Again: While handling the transportation of raw material/final product you cannot afford to lose out on anything. You have to ensure that the schedule reaches till the last check point and no one in the chain remains ill-informed. Coordinate with the concerned person again and again to make sure that the message has been correctly received on the other side.
- Communication is the Key: As a Supply Chain professional it would be your job to keep the channel of communication without any obstructions. You will have to coordinate with the vendors, transporters, the clients and will also have to report back to the higher management. If you are not good at your communication skills then you would sure want to sharpen them before you enter the field.
- Be Precise with Documents: Documentation is one of the important aspects of supply chain management. Working on spreadsheets, maintaining database for warehouse and handling the stock will be [art of your KRA. If you are not trained in documentation then your day would be a long one.
- Know your Area: As a Supply Chain Manager, it becomes imperative for you to learn about all the routes in your area. It always helps to know about the heavy traffic area, short cuts and the right time to use a particular route. You might have to direct a driver (if he is new) to a particular destination.
- Lead the Way: If a transporter is on his way and suddenly faces two flat tires then you won’t expect him to look out for solution on his own. As a manager you will have to take a quick decision and arrange for help as quickly as possible. Leading the way and taking quick & smart decisions is one trait that may take you a long way.
- Get it on Paper: You may be the best but if you don’t have it all organized on paper then you might not get noticed in the professional field. Have a well-written resume with you even before you start looking for a job. It is this one paper that might give you the right break!
Download Supply Chain Manager Resume format